14TH ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE OF THE UGANDA NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
The Uganda National Academy of Sciences held her 14th Annual Scientific Conference on 31st October, 2014 at Hotel Africana. The theme for the conference was; “Energy for Development”. The function was presided over by the State Minister for Energy-Hon Simon D’ujanga on behalf of the Hon. Minister of Energy and Mineral Development. In attendance was the Governor Bank of Uganda Prof. Emanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile a Fellow of UNAS (FUNAS), Former Prime Minister of Uganda Prof. Apolo Nsibambi, (FUNAS) Chairman National Planning Authority, and Managing Director Total Uganda, Representatives from Electricity Regulatory Authority, Academicians, and Researchers among others.
Under the theme; “Energy for Development”. The following three topics were presented and discussed during the conference.
- 1:Oil and Gas in Uganda’s 2040 Development Agenda presented by Dr. Betty Nagudi , a lecturer in the Department of Geology and Petroleum Studies at the College of Natural Sciences Makerere University. This presentation was discussed by Mr. Nelson Ofwono a senior consultant, local content/Economic Development followed by plenary discussion.
- 2: Harnessing Uganda’s Hydropower Potentials: Towards Removal of a Strategic Bottleneck in Transformation of an Economy presented by Prof. Sandy Stevens Tickodri-Togboa a professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology Makerere University .This presentation was discussed by Dr. Samuel Baker Kucel, the first Deputy Vice Chancellor Busitema University and later by participants.
- 3: Renewable Energy in Uganda’s 2040 Development Agenda presented by Dr. Richard Okou an associate professor at the college of Engineering Design Art and Technology Makerere University. This paper was discussed by Prof. Mackay Okure a Fellow of Uganda National Academy of Sciences and a professor at the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology Makerere University and later by participants.
After the above presentations the following new Fellows were inducted into the Academy.
- 1: Prof. Maria G.N. Musoke - University Librarian, Makerere University. She joined the Category of Information Sciences
- 2: Dr. Emmanuel B. Kasimbazi-Professor of Environmental Law at the School of Law Makerere University. He joined the category of Humanities
- 3: Dr. Maud Kamatenesi- Vice Chancellor, Bishop Stuart University Mbarara. She joined the category of Biological Sciences.
- 4: Dr. Florence Mutonyi-D’ujanga -Professor of Physics at the Department of Physics Makerere University .She joined the category of Physical Sciences
- 5: Dr. Jeninah Karungi Tumutegyereize-Associate Professor, College of Agricultural and Enviromental Sceinces. She joined the category of Agricultural Sciences
- 6: Dr. Gerald Kayingo -University of California Davis Medical Centre Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. He joined the category of Health and Medical Sciences